Friday, July 16, 2010

One-Breast vs Two-Breast Feedings

I am often asked whether one breast or two breasts should be offered per feeding. This is a tricky question, and every mother/infant couplet should be considered individually. However, in the first couple of weeks after birth, a mother’s breasts may be somewhat engorged (normal fullness) as they begin to regulate milk production. Offering both breasts per feeding allows each breast some relief of pressure, and therefore comfort for mother. Later, after the initial couple of weeks, one-breast feedings may serve to balance the intake of fore-milk and hind-milk (a discussion all in its own).

2 comments:

  1. I have found that I can gauge which side it is "time" for based on feel. With my first child I tried to keep track of which breast I had nursed on last. With my second I am much more relaxed. Will this effect milk production in my breasts? Say if one happens to be favored more than the other.

    C.F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear CF,
    What a great question! When it comes to milk production, our breasts perform somewhat independently of one another. First of all, many mothers notice that one breast may consistently produce more or less than the other. This is commonly noted and may be due to a number of factors including normal anatomical variations and patterns of breast usage. If an infant tends to “favor” one breast over the other by emptying it more frequently, it will respond in kind by producing more milk. For optimal overall milk production, I would recommend more equal stimulation and emptying of both breasts at each feeding, especially if milk supply is a concern.
    Thanks for your question CF. Readers, please feel free to add to this discussion!

    ReplyDelete