Friday, August 13, 2010

Tick, Toc, Tick, Toc: Must we always watch the clock?

We talk about how human infants should feed every two to three hours in the early weeks and months, and certainly that is true. However, once effective breastfeeding is well-established and baby is gaining weight nicely without intervention, it may be time to kick back and relax. What’s wrong with letting baby dictate how often he wants to eat as long as he is thriving? A baby who begins to get hungry will exhibit early hunger “cues.” Examples of early hunger cues include upper body movement, hand-to-mouth behaviors, rapid eye movement during sleep, etc. Late signs of hunger include fussing and crying. So, sit back, put your feet up and let your baby do the talking. Tick, Toc, Tick, Toc…perhaps we shouldn’t watch the clock!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Diana - we spoke on the phone this afternoon and I'm so glad to find your blog here! Great job and great advice. I know I'll be in good hands delivering at MoBap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jacque! I appreciate your feedback. I am trying to blog on topics that will be helpful to new mom's, so if you or any one else have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Jacque, let me know when you are here. I'd love to meet you in person!

    ReplyDelete