Thursday, September 30, 2010

In the News...Again!


Monday, in the online addition of the journal Archives of Disease in Childhood, a team of researchers from the University of Crete in Heraklion, Greece,  reported finding significantly fewer incidences of infections and hospitalizations in children exclusively human milk-fed for the first 6 months of life.  Many other studies have had similar findings.  However, it is important for us to hear it again and again and again.
Certainly, Greek mothers need to hear it.  In 2000, while visiting Greece, I felt privileged to have been invited to attend a La Leche League meeting held in the suburbs of Athens.  The leaders of the group explained to me that breastfeeding rates were very low in Greece at the time and that it was a challenge to educate the public.  So, I am very glad to hear that this research has come out of a Greek university.
On the subject of the La Leche League meeting, it was really wonderful to see all those Greek mothers and babies gathered in support of what was best for their babies.  The meeting was conducted in Greek.  However, much to my surprise, I was able to understand most of what was being discussed!!  I guess breastfeeding is a universal “language”.  It certainly was not all Greek to me!!!  

Check out this link to WebMD for the story http://bit.ly/agRVmU

No comments:

Post a Comment