Friday, February 11, 2011

News Release from The United States Congress, Feb 10, 2011 It is about time!!!!


Breastfeeding Equipment to be Allowed as Medical Tax Deduction and Reimbursed by Flexible Health Spending Accounts

Washington, D.C. – In response to a request from Senators Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Tom Harkin (D-IA), and Representatives Sander Levin (D-MI) and Carolyn B. Maloney (D-NY), the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) announced they will reverse a ruling that denies equipment used to help women breast feed from being covered as a health care expense.  The previous ruling excluded breast pumps from coverage under flexible health spending accounts and made them non-deductible on tax returns.
  Merkley, Harkin, Levin, and Maloney wrote to IRS Commissioner Douglas Shulman in November to call for the decision to be reversed.  Senators Merkley and Harkin were joined by 9 other Senators; 32 other House members joined Reps. Levin and Maloney.
  In response to today’s decision, Senators Merkley and Harkin and Reps. Levin and Maloney released the following statement:
  “Today’s decision is a huge victory for nursing mothers everywhere.  Modern medicine has documented numerous health benefits linked to breastfeeding, including a reduced risk of illness in infants and a reduced risk of cancer in mothers.  And because breastfeeding is so effective in preventing disease, it also happens to save billions in health care costs.  We thank the IRS for their careful consideration and quick response.”

3 comments:

  1. Dear Diana,
    I gave birth to my first baby on February 1st at MoBap. We had a hard time getting her to latch on at first, but Sue helped us, and we finally got it. My milk came in 3 days after her birth, and the feedings were going great for about 5 days. After that, my right nipple started getting really sore while she ate, and after she was finished. I also got some shooting pains in that breast. I never had any pain in my left breast. My OB office said it could be thrush, so they prescribed 2 weeks of Diflucan and Nystatin cream for my nipples. The pediatrician prescribed 2 weeks of Nystatin drops for the baby even though she had no symptoms. It’s been 10 days since we started the treatment, and my right nipple still hurts. It had some cracks that scabbed, but I put a little olive oil on them, and they healed. The pain is the worst when she first latches on, but it continues to hurt while she nurses. It hurts off and on in between feedings too. I have noticed that sometimes my nipple has a faint white line across it when it comes out of her mouth. A few minutes later, there is a white circle on it, then it returns to its normal color. Sometimes it goes back and forth for awhile. Sometimes my left one changes colors too, but I don’t have any pain on that side. In the past, even before I got pregnant, sometimes if my nipples got really cold, they would become painful. It didn’t happen very often, maybe a handful of times per year. So, what do you think is causing this? Do you think I really have thrush? Why is the pain only on one side? Am I doing damage to my nipple by continuing to nurse with this pain? I really don’t want to have to stop breastfeeding my daughter. I really appreciate any help you can give us. You can email me at valligirl20@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Valligirl20! Based on your description of the problem, it sounds like you could have a couple of things going on simultaneously. Unfortunately, it is extremely difficult to diagnose nipple pain and trauma without performing a visual and functional assessment. If you would like to schedule a visit with us, we would be happy to do an evaluation. The phone number to the lactation office is 314-996-5747.

    To answer your questions, it is unlikely that you have a thrush infection. These are usually bilateral (occurring in both breasts). One-sided pain may be caused by a number of things, so a functional assessment would be helpful. Permanent damage to your nipple is unlikely. However, continuing to nurse on that side may not be the best intervention at this point, especially if your little one is not able to transfer the milk effectively. Expressing your right breast, either manually or electrically, will protect your milk supply and possibly allow some healing of the nipple until you can be evaluated. Whatever you do, please DO NOT STOP efforts to breastfeed. This sounds like a problem that can be resolved with some professional help. Please do give us a call!

    Thanks for writing,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete