Friday, June 24, 2011

FDA Recall of SimplyThick

Thickening of breast milk or formula is sometimes recommended in the treatment of gastroesophageal reflux in infancy.  Earlier this month, the FDA issued a recall of Simply Thick, a thickening agent manufactured by Thermo Pac, LLC.  They are investigating a possible link between the product and several cases of necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC), a life-threatening intestinal condition seen most often in premature infants.
The FDA is aware of 15 cases of NEC, including two deaths, involving the use of Simply Thick mixed in the breast milk or formula of premature infants.  Until the investigation is concluded, the agency is recommending that parents stop using the product in infants born at or before 37 weeks gestation.
Here’s a link to the FDA consumer update:  http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm256250.htm

2 comments:

  1. Hi Diana, I'm not sure where to post a question so I am commenting under this entry (even though my question is unrelated). I have been exclusively breast-feeding my baby (who was born at MoBap) for the past four months. I am going back to work soon and we have not been able to get her to take a bottle.

    My husband and the babysitter have tried 6 different nipples/bottle types at various times (when she is hungry, after she has nursed on one side, when she is alert, when she is sleepy, in the morning, in the afternoon, in the evening, etc etc) and with different positions (facing my husband, turned away, in her infant chair, etc). She cries and sounds like she is choking (even though we are using the slowest flow nipples) and then bites down and starts chewing on the nipple. I think the most she has ever drank from the bottle is less than 1/2 oz.

    I'm getting pretty desperate since I'm supposed to go back to work soon. We would appreciate any advice and suggestions you might have on how to get a baby who has been exclusively breast-fed to start taking a bottle. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous,
    Because your challenge is one faced by many mothers returning to work, this topic warrants a blog all of its own! Please see my post for today (7/20/2011) for some suggestions. I have entitled it “When Breastfeeding Baby Refuses to Take Bottles”. Hang in there…eventually something will work! Thanks for writing in!
    Diana

    ReplyDelete