Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Blood Sugar Levels in the Early Neonatal Period


Maintenance of normal blood sugar (glucose) levels is a critical component of health, regardless of one’s age.  For the newborn infant, it can be a very serious matter if blood sugar levels are too low.  Almost all newborn infants experience a drop in blood sugar levels immediately after birth followed by a rise again within a few hours.   This is a normal process of adaptation to life outside the uterus as the infant transitions from continuous trans-placental feeding (through the umbilical cord) to intermittent oral feeding after birth. 
For some infants who are at higher risk, this transition may be complicated and result in persistent low blood sugar levels.  Infants at risk include those who have gone beyond their due date, are small or large for gestational age, are delivered of diabetic mothers or had stress during or after their birth.  Stress may occur due to a variety of conditions including having become too cold after birth.
There are several ways in which a mother can assist her newborn in stabilizing and maintaining normal blood sugar levels.   First, if a mother knows her infant will be at higher risk of low blood sugar, she can try to collect any colostrum that might be available in the days before anticipated delivery.  Even drops can make a significant difference!  A needle-less 1 cc syringe may be used as an easy collection and storage device.  The colostrum may be kept refrigerated or frozen, then fed to the infant (in addition to a direct breast feeding) right after birth.  Colostrum is the best stabilizer of blood glucose, so baby should be given as much colostrum as is possible.  Frequent effective breast feedings thereafter is the key.  However, if levels remain low, a supplemental feeding of formula or IV therapy could become necessary.
Another practice known for its benefit in blood glucose stabilization is skin-to-skin contact immediately after birth for at least one hour.  This keeps baby toasty warm, (protecting him from cold stress) and facilitates effective breastfeeding right from the start.
Remember that your body is so very capable of taking care of your baby’s needs.   Assist your baby as he transitions to life outside your uterus.  After all, you are his world!

3 comments:

  1. Diana-

    Thank you so much for addressing this issue! I was blindsided when my son was born two years ago at MoBap, and they *strongly* suggested he be given formula because of his size and blood sugar readings shortly after birth. There seemed to be no information out there about blood sugar and breastfeeding freshly newborns when I was reading!

    I will do my best to collect as much colostrum as possible prior to my next child's birth in case he or she is larger than 8lb 13oz and ends up with low blood sugar like my son. I've already arranged with my family that our new child, myself, and my husband get to spend at least an hour together bonding as a family before we have any other visitors so we can have as much uninterrupted skin-to-skin time right after birth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am having alot of trouble getting my week old to feed every 2-3 hours regularly. She sleeps up to four hours in the early morning and my breast are then engorged and hard to latch. I pump but the tissue is swollen and still hard to latch. Once she is able latch, I am affraid to switch breasts because she often can't latch to the other because she isn't that hungery anymore and doesn't want to work for it. I find myself pumping one breast and feeding from the other. We then repeat the same thing if she naps late morning. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Diana-

    I wanted to update you, as I am now approaching my due date (I'm 37 weeks, and my OB expects that I will deliver before my due date). Yesterday and today, I expressed colostrum with my pump, and I am storing it in the freezer. As I don't have any needle-less syringes, nor could I find any, I am pumping and then pouring all of the colostrum into one of the pump's bottles in the freezer. So far, after only two pumping sessions, I have 1 full ounce of colostrum to bring with me to the hospital! I can't wait to meet my baby!

    I do have one question - if I don't end up using all of the pumped colostrum, can I donate the rest to the NICU?

    ReplyDelete