Friday, October 28, 2011

Nursing Is Normal…Even in Public!

When I was a new mother, I remember feeling shy about nursing my baby outside, in public places.  Before leaving the house I would ask myself “What if she needs to eat while I’m in the supermarket?”  My answer would be “Well, I’ll go to my car”.  Or, “What if I’m in a department store? …Well, I’ll go to a dressing room”.   I remember practicing in front of a full length mirror to see if I could latch my baby without anyone knowing what I was doing.  I got really good at it!  I am happy to report that these days' mothers have a lot more support and options for feeding in public than I did.  In fact, legislation has been passed to allow for this!  Still, we have a long way to go before we reach the level of comfort that many women enjoy in places around the world.
Just last evening I happened to see a YouTube video that was produced as a volunteer project in Quebec, Canada.  As part of the “Nursing Is Normal” movement that began in the United States, this video is one of several that have been made in an effort to promote and protect breastfeeding outside the home.   A photographic display of mothers feeding in public, it is based on the theory that the more we see mothers nursing out and about, the more we will accept it as a cultural norm.  If you’d like to see it, click here.  Also, if you have speakers, you may enjoy the toe-tapping, ragtime piano accompaniment to the slides.  Kick up your heals and enjoy the fun.  Remember…Nursing IS Normal!

No comments:

Post a Comment