Monday, May 13, 2013

Skin-to-Skin Breastfeeding



Most of us have heard of the importance of using kangaroo care (skin-to-skin contact between parent and baby) with our newborns, especially in the first few days and weeks after birth. This same philosophy is also recommended when breastfeeding.

There are many benefits of feeding skin-to-skin for both mother and baby. It truly promotes bonding and a sense of calm. For mothers, skin-to-skin breastfeeding helps milk come in sooner, flow more freely and more abundantly. For babies, skin-to-skin breastfeeding helps regulate:
  • Temperature
  • Respiratory rate
  • Oxygen saturation level
  • Heart rate
  • Blood pressure
  • Blood sugar

We highly recommend incorporating this type of care into your breastfeeding routine. You’ll be surprised by the impact it can have on your breastfeeding relationship.
-Pat (IBCLC)


4 comments:

  1. I have been looking for a skin to skin picture just like this one! Do you own this picture? Is it available for us to utilize in a patient education handout I am making? Thanks for your help! jseberger@nebraskamed.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im doing the same thing and was just about to ask the same question - I am a leader with LLL France and was wondering if you would give me permission to use the photograph - rachel75015@gmail.com thanks for any help

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I am curious about the exact same thing. I'm a doula in Seattle and I'd love to use this for my website. I'm at rebeckah@gmail.com. Thank you for any information!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I am curious about the exact same thing. I'm a doula in Seattle and I'd love to use this for my website. I'm at rebeckah@gmail.com. Thank you for any information!

    ReplyDelete