Friday, June 11, 2010

Getting Started: The First Few Days

In many cases, the first few days of breastfeeding a newborn are quite different from what most of us have read or learned about breastfeeding. For example, we are told that a full-term baby will want to nurse about every two to three hours in the first few weeks. This is true. However, the first few days may throw us for a loop! Day one:Baby is often sleepy and may not awaken easily for feedings. This can be related to his tummy being filled with amniotic fluid (especially if born by cesarean) or by the store of fluids and nutrients transferred to baby in the days and hours just before birth. Day two:Baby is more awake and alert. His store of nutrients may now be depleting, and now he wants to nurse every hour! These are called “cluster feedings” and are baby’s way of letting mom’s breasts know that he will soon be ready for larger volumes. These frequent feedings not only help mom’s uterus to stay nicely contracted, but also allow baby to practice suckling before the voluminous transitional milk comes in. Days three to five: Mom’s transitional milk is coming in. Her breasts may change (blood and milk engorgement) and baby must re-learn how to latch to these “new” breasts. He must refine the way he suckles in order to handle the increased flow of milk. It is usually at this point that feedings begin to occur more consistently at two- to three-hour intervals. After the first few days, things begin to settle into more of a routine. Still there will be many more changes to adapt to. Life with a new baby can be challenging, yet wonderful. Just remember to eat, drink and sleep when baby sleeps, and let everything else go to pot!

3 comments:

  1. My baby and I are doing so well. I love breastfeeding! Thank you MoBap lactation consultants and nurses for all your help after my delivery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I delivered both my children at MoBap and received the best breastfeeding support from their lactation staff and nurses during both of my stays. I am so excited that you have a breastfeed website and blog! New nursing moms need all the support they can get. In the beginning for me the self doubt was the most difficult part of becoming a nursing mother (both times). I figured that after nursing my first for two years I was an old pro and the second would be a breeze. I was shocked by the differences in my babies when it came to their nursing styles. I needed the support and guidance of the lactation staff just as much the second time around. I thought it was great that even though they knew it was my second go round, they were just as invested in my experience.

    I wish that something like this “getting started” post had been around during my first experience. It goes without saying that usually encouragement is needed most after business hours! My son and I are still going strong after 9 months!

    Thanks MoBap!

    C.F.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear C.F.,
    Thanks for the wonderful feedback about our lactation services here at MoBap. I’m so glad to hear that you like our website and my blog. New mothers (and even experienced mothers) absolutely benefit from lactation support, not only in the early weeks, but later on as well! Things do crop up and we’re always ready to help a mother in need.
    Congratulations on breastfeeding your nine month-old. He/she will thank you someday!
    Until then, thanks C.F. for helping to shape a healthy future generation!
    P.S. I’d love to hear from any others of you out there, so please send me your comments! For example, have you found the blog to be helpful?

    ReplyDelete